Be sure to properly store and acclimate your siding and decking at the job site.
Proper storage of your exterior wood products is critical for a successful installation. Understanding your job site conditions and how they impact wood products is essential in determining proper storage methods.
The wood should be kept dry. The goal is to keep the product from direct exposure to the elements (sun, rain, sleet, snow, etc.) prior to installation while allowing it to acclimate. Be advised that your product must also be protected from the ground below and its detrimental effects of moisture infiltration.
Failure to properly store your material can and likely will result in the manifestation of many damaging effects. Proper on-site storage is not Excelsior Wood Products’ responsibility.
Here are some tips to consider that could help keep your siding and decking in good condition prior to installation:
- Keep the wood products elevated off the ground a minimum of 4″-6″ on a flat surface.
- Place a moisture barrier, like a tarp, on the ground beneath the pack.
- Cover the unit with a moisture barrier. Elevate the center so water doesn’t pool on the top.
- Do not completely seal the bundle. Air should be able to circulate fully around and throughout the stack. The goal is for the material to acclimate to the temperature and humidity of the job site. Generally speaking, in our region most wood products are ready to install when they are below a 15% moisture content.
- For best air circulation and acclimation sticker each layer.
- If your siding or decking is pre-coated be careful that you do not get sticker marks on the faces of the boards. In this case, you could stack a layer face to face leaving the slip sheets (thin plastic sheets separating the boards) between the boards so they do not adhere together causing sticking and peeling. Be sure to protect the exposed faces of the boards, even if it is not pre-coated.
In any case, if your order has slip sheets, we encourage you to leave these between the boards until you are ready to install. They will help the boards from sticking together and peeling off the coatings.