Not since the Tin Man in Oz has anyone been so excited about oil!
Introducing Exo-Shield, our favorite exterior coating!
We’ve tried a number of different coatings on tropical hardwoods which provide special challenges due to their extreme density. We’ve found this to be the best.
- It was developed specifically for hardwoods like Ipe and Red Balau/Batu, but can be used on any species.
- Tung oil was chosen for its track record. It’s been widely used for thousands of years originally in China and Egypt for boat building. Tung oil penetrates. It’s durable and water-resistant.
- Trans Oxide pigments are included for there beautiful color, high durability, weather-fastness, UV protection, and non-toxicity.
- Additional high-grade UV blockers
- Marine-grade components
- Easy to apply and maintain
- Increases stability of wood products
- Great colors
Excelsior can make your life easier by applying this for you. We like to lightly wire brush the face of the boards to clean, beautify and open up the grain for better absorption. Then, we apply the ExoShield, let it sit and penetrate for 24 hours minimum before wiping off the excess. We coat all sides in our climate-controlled environment, as recommended. All sides should be coated. This helps reduce moisture absorption into an un-coated back.
An un-coated back can result in more moisture absorption into the back of the board than into the top of the board.
The back of the board then expands resulting in cupping.
We also keep some Exo-Shield in stock for your DIY projects.
Come and get it!
Another reason we’re excited…One Coat Coverage: Hardwood: 600 to 800 SF Softwood: 400 to 600 SF AND it’s MADE IN THE USA!